Zhouzhuang Ancient Town is a national-level scenic spot in Suzhou, a pre-selected place for world cultural heritage, and the first batch of national 5A-level beautiful spots. The ancient town of Zhouzhuang is surrounded by water, and the town becomes the city because of the river. Fourteen ancient stone bridges built in the Yuan, Ming, and Qing dynasties were kept intact on the square-shaped river. More than 800 Aboriginal people live on the river, and more than 60% of the houses still retain the architectural features of the Ming and Qing Dynasties.
· On this full-day tour, you will have a chance to go to the most beautiful and first of the Chinese water townships, Zhouzhuang. As the town is filled with rivers and canals, it gives Zhouzhuang a pure, bubbly and bright quiet. The ancient town, which has a history of more than 900 years, still keeps intact the original ancient water village’s style and pattern.
· A visit to Zhouzhuang makes for a perfect day trip for those staying in either Suzhou or Shanghai, as it is less than a 2-hour drive to reach Zhouzhuang.
· To ensure maximum convenience and comfort, you will have your professional English-speaking guide, driver and private van or car.
1. We will pick you up from your hotel in Suzhou or Shanghai and drive to the water town of Zhouzhuang. From either direction, the drive will take about 1.5 hours. It is thought by many to be the best waterside town in China. This ancient town has a history of more than 900 years old, with many houses built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties. With lakes on four sides, Zhouzhuang's beauty can be seen on the waterside lanes and around a number of the stone bridges. A different vista at every turn can be found here.
2. Besides taking in the beautiful scenery of canals, there is much to see. We'll see the Zhenfeng Bridge, which sits on the west mouth of the Zhongshi River and connects the Zhenfeng Lane and Xiwan Street. It was built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties and is well preserved today, Another highlight is the Fu'an Bridge, which is located at the east end of Zhongshi Street, crossing the Nanbeishi River and leading to Nanbeishi Street. The bridge was built in 1355 and later rebuilt by Shen Wansi, the younger brother of Shen Wansan. There are towers on all four corners.
3. After exploring the town for a few hours, we'll stop for a Chinese lunch. Then we will go to Zheng's House, which was built between 1436 and 1449 by the offspring of Xu Kui, the brother of Zhongshan King Xu Da. In the early Qing Dynasty, this place became known as either Yuyan (Jade Swallow) Hall or Zhang's House. Zheng's house has six courtyards and more than 70 rooms, with an area of 1,800 square meters. The central courtyard has buildings facing east and west, with long and short windows.
4. To cap off your time in Zhouzhuang we'll take a little cruise through the town, allowing you to see why many consider Zhouzhuang to be the most beautiful of all China's water townships.
5. You'll then be taken back to your hotel in either Suzhou or Shanghai, and you will be dropped off.
1-day Zhouzhuang Tour
1-day Zhujiajiao Tour
Tongli and Suzhou Garden Tour