Zhouzhuang 1 Day Tour
- On this full day tour you will have a chance to go to the most beautiful and first of the Chinese water townships, Zhouzhuang. As the town is filled with river and canals, it gives Zhouzhuang a simple, vivacious and bright quiet. The ancient town, which has a history of more than 900 years, still keeps intact the original ancient water village’s style and pattern.
- A visit to Zhouzhuang makes for a perfect day trip for those staying in either Suzhou or Shanghai, as it is less than a 2-hour drive to reach Zhouzhuang.
- To ensure maximum convenience and comfort, you will have your own professional English-speaking guide, driver and private van or car.
1. From either your hotel at Suzhou or Shanghai, you will be met by your English-speaking guide, and from there we will make the drive to the water town of Zhouzhuang. From either direction the drive will take about 1.5 hours. It is thought by many to be the best waterside town in China. This ancient town has a history of more than 900 years old with many houses built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties. With lakes on four sides, the beauty of Zhouzhuang is to be found along the waterside lanes and around a number of the stone bridges. A different vista at every turn can be found here.
2. Besides taking in the beautiful scenery of canals, there is much to see. We’ll see the Zhenfeng Bridge, which sits on the west mouth of the Zhongshi River, and connects the Zhenfeng Lane and Xiwan Street. It was built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties, and is well preserved today, Another highlight is the Fu’an Bridge, which is located at the east end of Zhongshi Street, crossing the Nanbeishi River and leading to Nanbeishi Street. The bridge was built in 1355, and later rebuilt by Shen Wansi, younger brother of Shen Wansan. There are towers on all four corners.
3. After exploring the town for a few hours, we’ll stop for a Chinese lunch. Then we will go to Zheng’s House, which was built between 1436 and 1449 by the offspring of Xu Kui, the brother of Zhongshan King Xu Da. After it was sold to the Zhang family in the early Qing Dynasty, it became known as either Yuyan (Jade Swallow) Hall or Zhang's House. Covering more than 1800 square meters, the house has 6 courtyards and more than 70 rooms. The main courtyard has buildings facing east and west, with long and short windows.
4. To cap off your time in Zhouzhuang we’ll take a little cruise through the town, allowing you to see why many consider Zhouzhuang to be the most beautiful of all China’s water townships.
5. You’ll then be taken back to your hotel in either Suzhou or Shanghai, and you will be dropped-off.
John Watkins, Miami, Fl, USA:
Staying in Shanghai on business, I had an extra day for sightseeing, and with little notice and limited time, China Adventure Club was able to help me with an outstand-ing trip to Zhouzhuang. The guide and driver were both professional, and the day was a lot of fun, as I was able to see everything on the itinerary, along with some extra attractions. I would recommend this tour to anyone with a short amount of time and wishing to keep a small budget. Thank you again!